VP People & Culture (Non-Profit)
The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The VP People & Culture will oversee all Human Resources and culture functions–including recruiting and retention, compensation, culture, and training–as well as identifying, deploying, and overseeing resources needed to support the matrixed, cross team collaboration that is a cornerstone of LACI’s vibrant culture including the internal collaboration, project management, and other tools (e.g., CRM, project management software, internal collaboration, and timely needs from programs to operations and vice versa). LACI is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, and needs an experienced skilled leader to steward these efforts for our small and growing staff.
What You’ll Do:
- People and Culture Strategy: Provide strategic guidance to the EVP and CEO, in collaboration with the Leadership Team, to foster a culture that embraces LACI’s unique entrepreneurial drive and commitment to an inclusive green economy. Work closely with management to oversee and enhance company mentoring program, management training skills, professional development, and career path strategies including employee recognition. Implement internal professional development including management and leadership training. Assess annual training needs, procure external training contractors as needed, analyze results and impact of Professional Development programs. Build strong relationships within the organization through thought leadership, coaching, mentoring, conflict resolution and people advocacy.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion: Spearhead the design and implementation of DEI strategy including training, policies, recruiting, retention, including supporting existing DEI program work (e.g., “Three Levers” annual culture action plan). Identify and monitor the metrics and KPIs to evaluate DEI success. Collaborate with internal communications team to promote and support internal DEI trainings, initiatives and activities.
- Internal collaboration tools and processes: Collaborate with VP Campus Management and LACI IT team to identify and roll-out technology for internal collaboration, project management, and other tools (e.g., CRM, project management software, and timely needs from programs to operations and vice versa). Spearhead overseeing resources needed to support the matrixed, cross-team collaboration (ie training, adoption) that is a cornerstone of LACI’s vibrant culture
- Compensation & Benefits: Serve as an internal resource to managers/supervisors to analyze and recommend adjustments to employee compensation. Understand business objectives and establish programs, strategies and processes across merit pay and compensation including periodic analysis and market-based benchmark/ surveys with race and gender lense, performance evaluation (including performance improvement plans), employee engagement, professional development/training, and employee relations.
- Employee Lifecycle: Own all aspects of the employee lifecycle, including: forecasting open positions, overseeing a diverse and inclusive recruiting process (including negotiating offers), onboarding, and talent management.
- Compliance, Policy & Procedure: Establish and maintain employment policies and practices which comply with federal and state regulations. Coordinate with Director of Compliance to ensure implementation and utilization of CRM, project management/collaboration tools, and process enhancements (eg how does finance get timely responses from program teams, and vice-versa). Design and implement company-wide communications on all matters HR compliance and culture.
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- You thrive in fast-paced, highly autonomous roles. While LACI is a non-profit, it more closely resembles a start-up with a rapidly changing environment. So it’s a good thing your entrepreneurial spirit, and goal-oriented mindset allow you to be comfortable in a results-oriented culture. You know how to keep people looped in without requiring daily oversight or check-ins to be successful.
- You’re authentic and approachable. Your demeanor and openness often lead people to approach you with their honest thoughts and feelings. You’ve been told that your responses to problems are refreshingly authentic and empathetic. You hold these confidences with care, so people know they can confide in and depend on you.
- You’re a master planner and capacity builder. You know how to operationalize program compliance and develop the plans, processes and people to execute, ensuring everything runs smoothly and goals are met.
- You are an exceptional communicator. You know how to synthesize and translate complex information for a broad spectrum of audiences, from technologists and engineers, to investors, to cross collaborative team members.
- You’re super organized. In fact, your organization, attention to detail and time management skills are award-worthy! (Color-coded Excel spreadsheets and pivot tables, anyone?)
- You’re adaptable. You can flex comfortably between working independently with limited supervision, and operating fluidly within a dynamic team environment.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- 10+ years of experience in HR administration, managing and implementing HR processes from the leadership team/ c-suite
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Human Resources or related field.. Advanced degree and/or /SPHR/SHRM-CP preferred.
- Experience incorporating Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs to match external/internal initiatives of an organization
- Change Management expertise navigating companies through growth phases including increasing employee size, standardizing processes, expanding culture initiatives
- Experience with resources like CRM, etc that support healthy team based collaborative culture
- Accessible and effective in partnering with people at all levels in the organization.
- Knowledgeable and up to date on all federal and state laws in reference to employee guidelines
- HR experience in non-profit environment preferred
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee.