The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Transportation Electrification Partnership (TEP) was formed by LACI in May 2018, and it is an unprecedented multi-year partnership among local, regional and statewide stakeholders. Ultimately, its purpose is to accelerate progress towards transportation electrification and zero emissions goods movement in the Greater LA region before the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Program Associate for TEP will provide meaningful contributions to advance the progress of this partnership by conducting research, creating content, and overseeing logistics for multiple working groups.
What You’ll Do:
- Research & Content Creation: Conduct primary and secondary research on major policy, business model, and technology issues related to the electrification of transportation and zero emissions goods movement (e.g., summarizing EV charging installation policies across the greater LA region) and other market transformation and clean energy programs as needed
- Working Group Logistics: Assist with logistics related to setting up meetings and collecting regular feedback from multiple, multi-stakeholder working groups (e.g., scheduling, meeting minutes, etc.)
- TEP Team Support: Assist Director of Transportation to ensure that the Partnership’s multi-stakeholder working groups identify and achieve collective goals
- Market Transformation Support: Assist the Market Transformation team on various projects and programs focused on clean transportation, renewable energy, and sustainable cities
Why You’re Right for the Job
- You’re ambitious and driven. This comes primarily from your desire to create meaningful change through your work. Due to this inner drive, you have a tendency to take projects further, faster, and you’re willing to go above and beyond to get the job done well.
- You care about the details. It doesn’t intimidate you to be responsible for planning multiple meetings with multiple stakeholders, while juggling multiple research, process and content projects. That’s a lot of “multiples”, but your organizational skills and strategies will set you up for success.
- You can say a lot with a little. Whether it’s a research project, meeting notes or emails -- you know how to synthesize large amounts of complex information into short, direct and clear messages. You’re an excellent communicator, in person, in the phone and in writing.
- You’re a curious person. This curiosity shows up in your listening skills, your interactions with people, your love of research, and your willingness to ask questions. If you don’t know the answer to something, you’re not afraid to admit it and continue searching until you find it.
- Learning about TEP excites you. You’re not just looking for any Program Associate role. You’re applying because you’re passionate about climate change. The idea of being a part of something that could make an impact on the LA region and set precedent across the country is a key motivator.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years work experience
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong communication, project management, and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in Google Docs and Microsoft Office, especially with presentation/slide decks
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.