The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Facilities & Sustainability Manager will oversee a robust, sustainability-focused facility management program and team, while acting as the face of LACI to the campus community to help make this great place the physical home for Cleantech in LA. You will play an essential role in the facilities management of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, a LEED Platinum facility currently finalizing WELL certification and beginning the process to become a Net Zero Facility. You will be responsible for the performance and maintenance of building equipment and services, including overseeing a team of janitorial, security, parking, and reception staff. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Operations & Finance, you will also support the delivery of technology demonstration projects, community management, and help implement green building best practices.
What You’ll Do:
- Facilities Management: Implementation of a robust, sustainability focused facility management program including preventative maintenance and life-cycle requirements, coordination of facilities inspections to ensure compliance with occupant health, safety, and industry standards. Coordinate maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment, tenant improvements, and construction.
- Sustainability: Manage the implementation of LEED, WELL, and Net Zero best practices while monitoring energy efficiency, water conservation, and waste diversion.
- Technology Demonstration: Assist with technology evaluation and scoping of campus pilot projects. Provide project management, stakeholder facilitation, and support for pilots
including assist with project related reports, measurement & verification, and savings documentation.
- Community Management: Provide prompt response to community member requests, comfort issues, and facility needs. Assist with relevant community outreach, programming, and events.
Vendor Management & Purchasing: Obtain quotes from vendors and suppliers as well as calculate and compare costs for goods and services to maximize cost-effectiveness
for janitorial, security, parking, and environmental health and safety.
- Team Management: Continue to develop team and direct-reports with a focus on exemplary customer service, including Security Supervisor and Receptionist to maximize performance and foster an innovative, inclusive culture at LACI.
Why You’re Right for the Job
- You’re flexible and resourceful. You are creative and innovative in solving for problems and creating new solutions. You know how to roll with the punches when a day doesn’t go according to plan. You have the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, with limited supervision, and flex between working independently and within a team.
- You make stuff happen. You’re not afraid to get your hands dirty and change an air filter if it needs to get done. When it comes to keeping energy targets on track and making this building a safe, comfortable space for our members and a showcase for our global community – you’re on it.
- You’re a green building nerd. You have experience in facilities management, but it’s the chance to dive into LEED, WELL and Net Zero projects and best practices that really piqued your interest in this position. You can’t wait to be around people who get as excited about chiller efficiency as you do!
- You’re naturally inquisitive. If you don’t know how something works, you’ll find out. If you have a question, you’ll ask it. If you have the chance you pilot a technology, you’ll jump on it.
- You enjoy helping people. You’re dependable, so people often come to you for support. You see this as a plus, because you like helping others solve problems – big or small. You don’t mean to “humble brag”, but you know you’ll do a great job acting as the face of LACI to the campus community.
- You value customer service and camaraderie. Your leadership style is inclusive so you value each person’s opinions and experiences - whether they’re your direct-reports, higher-ups, clients or colleagues. By tapping into each of your team member’s unique strengths and abilities, you’re able to create a gold-star customer service standard for the people you serve and have fun doing it.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years relevant experience working in facilities, green buildings, or sustainability
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel and Google Sheet
- Excellent communication, organization and time management skills
- A LEED AP, WELL, or other relevant green building certification preferred
This is a full-time, permanent position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, located in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a Metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remotely or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.
LACI is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and committed to building a more inclusive ecosystem that integrates women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups into the cleantech sector and the overall tech industry. We strongly encourage applications from qualified applicants and members of underrepresented groups. The information collected from the application helps us ensure that we are meeting our goal of an equitable and diverse campus and community.