The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation, transforming markets and enhancing communities. Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Pipeline Coordinator is a key member of LACI’s innovation team, coordinating the recruitment, evaluation, selection and onboarding process for new startups that join our incubation programs. This coordination includes marketing and outreach, recruitment, initial vetting, due diligence, and stakeholder review process. This person will communicate directly with startups during the review process and build relationships with other like-minded partner orgs across the country. Reporting to the Senior Director of Innovation, this position will also include regular market research projects and competitive analysis.
What You’ll Do:
- Coordinate Outbound Recruitment: Oversee targeted marketing and outreach efforts to attract compelling startups to LACI’s programs; manage application forms, CRM systems and networking relationships; research and recommend best practices
- Vet & Evaluate Applicants: Review incoming startup applications to confirm eligibility and provide an initial assessment of acceptance criteria, including: market appetite, technology, program priorities, competition, business model, revenue, and team; recommend companies to move forward
- Communicate with Applicants: Manage communication process with startups during the application period; coordinate application review process, including follow up phone calls, external reviews, and interviews
- Coordinate Onboarding Process: Help manage the onboarding process when a new startup begins their program with LACI; develop onboarding tools and tactics that will maximize experience for new companies joining the portfolio to lead to increased engagement and retention
- Create Referral Network: Reach out to other incubators and accelerators around the country to build a referral network; coordinate with their staff to setup webinars, emails, etc. to encourage people to apply to our program; refer candidates to their programs who are not a fit for LACI
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- You can nerd out on spreadsheets. Yes, you actually like color-coding Excel sheets! You’re also open to try any new technology like Calendly, Sortd… whatever tools you can find to get organized, create process, and prioritize tasks. Organization is kinda your thing!
- You work well independently. Of course, you enjoy working with a team: that’s why you’re about to apply for a job at a cleantech coworking space with open air desks! Still, once trained on processes and tools, you look forward to doing some independent work. You’re someone who really takes initiative and takes ownership of your projects and deliverables.
- You’re curious about the startup, incubator, and cleantech ecosystem. Perhaps you’ve even been working in and around startups for the last few years. Now, this is your chance to dive deep into the ecosystem and learn who’s who and how it all works -- and you can’t wait to get started!
- You enjoy networking and building new relationships. You’re not one to know a stranger. Whether it’s showing up to a networking event alone or cold-calling someone at another incubator across the country, you’re not intimidated. In fact, you’ll probably walk away with a new friend.
- You’re driven to serve others. You see people as people, even if you’re just meeting them in an application. You care about their experience and will find a way to ensure they receive excellent communication and service in the process of applying to and/or joining our programs.
Requirements: Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2-3 years of work experience in an analytical, recruiting or customer service role
- Interest in innovation and the startup ecosystem, preferably with experience working with startups
- Knowledge of cleantech sector: energy, mobility, and sustainability preferred
- Professional experience and proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This is a full-time, permanent position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, located in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a Metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remotely or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.
LACI is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and committed to building a more inclusive ecosystem that integrates women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups into the cleantech sector and the overall tech industry. We strongly encourage applications from qualified applicants and members of underrepresented groups. The information collected from the application helps us ensure that we are meeting our goal of an equitable and diverse campus and community.