VP Facilities Management & Operations (Co-working Space)
The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The VP Campus Management & Operations will lead the team responsible for overseeing the La Kretz Innovation Campus (LKIC or the Campus), a 60,000 sq foot state of the art co-working office, conference/ events facility that is half a shared working space incubator and half home to LADWP office of innovation.
The VP will overall lead campus management and operations 1) working in close coordination with DWP and in alignment with LACI leadership; 2) manage the 30,000 sqft co-working space for campus members on behalf of LACI (including allocation of space, review and approval of proposed member tenants, coordination of events on campus for member tenants and aligned/approved non-members;, and 3) the LACI office/org needs (managing space, equipment, internal LACI event coordination on campus, pilots, APC trainings, etc.
The duties of this position include leading management and strategy for: office and event space, the Advanced Prototyping Center (APC) and training center; as well as LADWP offices, labs and customer exhibit/ tours space. Playing an essential role in LACI’s relationship with LADWP, this position oversees the facility management of LKIC, maintenance of LKIC’s LEED Platinum status and WELL certifications, and the anticipated conversion of LKIC to a net zero building in addition to supporting campus engagement programming for tenants and stakeholders such as events, brown bag information session, and other social/ professional mixer-type events.
Reporting directly to the EVP of Finance & Operations, the VP manages the Campus and APC team members to offer best-in-class service to our partners, start-ups, and Campus community members. Collaborating with other LACI departments and programs, VP Campus Management drives value and revenue through effective leadership, facilities management expertise, financial management, and innovative strategies to increase/ maximize the number of Campus tenants and the Campus visitor experience. As a member of the Leadership Team, the VP is expected to work closely with team members throughout the organization to ensure a safe, inclusive, and effective workplace for our colleagues and community, all while upholding LACI’s mission and values.
What You’ll Do:
- Campus Management: Work closely with LACI Leadership, the Campus Team and LADWP to implement best practices in facilities operations and maintenance; ensure re-certifications and compliance with state building codes, OSHA, and other agencies; manage the implementation of LEED, WELL, and Net Zero best practices while monitoring energy efficiency, water conservation, and waste diversion; analyze, prioritize, plan, schedule and manage building projects demonstrations and program pilots within budget and deadlines. The VP also spearheads managing the relationship and interests of the campus-owner and lead tenant, LADWP, through weekly operational meetings to address day-to-day operations, as well as long-term planning including the design and reporting of annual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as assigned by LADWP.
- Campus Tours, Events & Marketing: Produce and manage the Campus tour program, including effective tour guide training, and communicating additional program strategies. The VP is also expected to execute high quality, high profile Campus events (including LACI-hosted events, 3rd party events, and Campus community events) by coordinating and negotiating inbound event facility requests, room/function space reservations, facility audio-visual and IT services, facility security, building access, parking, and additional requests as needed. The VP will partner closely with the Marketing & Communications Team to ensure smooth implementation, experience, and success for all events.
- Advanced Prototyping Center (APC)/Machine Shop: Oversee the strategy development and implementation of the APC, while also focusing on health and safety protocols and standards and financial modeling
- Financial Management and Reporting: Design and oversee - in coordination with LADWP - the approximately $1M annual Operations and Management (O&M) Budget including the annual Facilities Department Budget with staffing and other related expenses.The budget also includes planning for approximately $800k income related to tenants and APC fees. The VP seeks opportunities for cost savings, streamlining operations and campus initiative. In coordination with the Finance team, the VP prepares financial analysis including leasing and memberships as well as Quarterly and Annual Reports to LADWP
- Campus Safety, Security, Janitorial and other Support: Supervise staff who manage the security team and contractors such as janitorial and parking management. The VP must design and manage best practices to ensure a safe, secure, and inclusive workplace for all campus guests and members. The VP must also be available to respond to and report emergency situations during work and off-hours
- IT and AV Support: Supervise IT Manager and 3rd party technical support for all campus IT, communications, and audio-visual needs including onsite and hybrid conferences and events. IT Manager oversees software admin and licensing renewals, tech and computer equipment purchases and support, as well as ensuring effective help desk for LACI staff.
- Team Management: Lead the Campus team (5 members) through regular coaching, feedback, staff meetings, and reviews; prioritize projects and work; provide subject matter expertise in facilities, safety, customer service, and building operations to develop team members and inform the work, and empower the team to handle day-to-day tasks and events.
- Customer Service: Develop strong customer relationships (internally with LACI staff and externally with campus members, vendors, clients, and partners) through professional and polished communications, anticipating any concerns, inefficiencies or quality issues, and working quickly and graciously to resolve issues
- Vendor Management: Negotiate third party contracts with vendors and develop and maintain relationships with current building management vendors (contracts range $10k to $200k); resolve issues and concerns between the parties; ensure LACI receives the appropriate service level and quality at the best possible cost; and evaluate the work product and efficiency of each vendor periodically.
- Cross Departmental Integration: Coordinate with the GO TEAM (marcom, development and government affairs) to achieve the following including Marketing of Campus, Campus tours and support of the LADWP exhibits, Development (Fundraising) Opportunities for Campus/AP, Engagement with City and Government Agencies (events, tours and office space)
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- You are a natural Leader: With superior supervising, management, and interpersonal skills along with a track record of achievement with diverse populations and teams.
- You value Customer Service: Experienced and adept at proactively communicating with various stakeholders, managing expectations and resolving problems.
- Project Management Skills: Ability to run multiple projects with cross-functional teams, manage timelines, and maintain project budgets.
- Senior level experience in facilities management: Ideally with a passion for green buildings.
- You are able to get alignment from other: Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Financial Acumen: Strong finance, budgeting, cost analysis, and problem solving skills.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) in Property Management, Construction Management or Engineering preferred or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years working in property management, hospitality and/or real estate preferred including growth in responsibilities
- LEED AP, WELL, or other relevant green building certification preferred
- G-Suite, Microsoft Office, basic Excel, Salesforce, Dropbox,, and Johnson Controls experience preferred.
- Broker’s license a plus.
- Willing to be on-call or available outside of regular business hours.
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee.